- "This odd weapon can be used to quickly fill an area with flaming liquid. It is heavy and cumbersome enough to restrict movement. Fuel will be loaded into the Flamethrower immediately upon crafting."
- ―Inventory description.
The Flamethrower is a heavy weapon found in The Evil Within 2.
The Flamethrower is a late-game heavy-hitter-class weapon, capable of spraying a large area in front of Sebastian Castellanos with fire that kills off most lesser enemies in very short order, and continually staggers those who haven't died yet until they do. It is capable of great damage-per-second, and has virtually no recoil.
That being said, the Flamethrower expectedly has many flaws. It is very heavy for starters, slowing Sebastian down greatly when equipped which can be dangerous against faster foes, and must be manually stowed onto his back with an easily interruptible animation that forces him to do it again and again unless the player moves. Secondly, while its DPS potential is great, individual spurts of fire with the Flamethrower are very weak and do not do much at all, requiring plenty of fuel to be spent in order to actually do anything of note. Lastly, Flamethrower fuel cans are exceedingly rare, being found only on dead Harbingers or crafted, which isn't very cheap at all when done off-bench.
- Great DPS
- Large "magazine" capacity
- Excellent crowd-control capability
- Can directly damage and defeat Laura
- Heavy weight restricts movement when equipped
- Burns through ammo very quickly
- Short effective range
- Does not stagger most bosses
- Using the Flamethrower on Laura during the fight in Chapter 14 removes the need for stunning her and activating the fire traps and saves quite a lot of time running around. As Laura herself can be continuously staggered with the flame, hosing her down is for once a viable strategy, and requires 80 units of fuel to successfully drive her off.
| I'll Take You Down Myself|
Brought your own equipment to the barbecue this time.
Fight off Laura using a Flamethrower.
- While most other weapons can be selected inside Safe Houses for automatic equipping upon re-entering Union, the Flamethrower is only selectable if Sebastian is not currently inside a safe zone.
- Slain Harbingers drop the smaller fuel tanks used to feed Sebastian's own Flamethrower despite none of them seem to visibly carry any. This could simply be for the sake of gameplay development, as Sebastian could have conceivably siphoned the fuel from the Harbingers' larger tanks into his own. Likely due to how his tanks are vastly more basic compared to theirs, Sebastian is unable to shoot fireballs with his Flamethrower like the Harbingers could.
|The Evil Within 2|
|Gameplay • Chapters • Characters & Creatures • Weapons & Equipments|
Warden Crossbow • Flamethrower
|Legend: Base Game, New Game+ unlock, Pre-order exclusive|