Crafting is done either on the fly or at a Bench. While the former is undeniably faster to do, it tacks on an additional ~33% component cost to craft anything, and weapons cannot be created/upgraded on the field.
The craftable supplies are divided into three distinct categories: Ammo and Weapons, Warden Bolts and Medical, each having their own set of unique ingredients. An ammo type becomes available to craft as soon as its corresponding weapon is found with the exception of Warden Bolts, which require Sebastian to discover a specific bolt type first before it can be created.
By the time of The Evil Within 2, Green Gel is no longer spent to upgrade weapons. Instead Crafting Parts and their High-grade variants are used. Normal crafting parts are very common later on and are spent in large quantities to upgrade anything, while High-grade parts are spent on unlocking upgrade tiers only.
As weapon upgrading is disabled on Classic difficulty, these will understandably not spawn.
Components are common articles of scraps that can be found pretty much everywhere within Union, and Safe Houses tend to have some. Some of these components will only spawn once their related craftables have been discovered, most of which are bolt parts.
Specific parts are only used to craft or repair certain items.
- Sniper Rifle Body: Found on the roof of the closest building to the right of the Union Visitor's Center. It is guarded by a single Lost and is found next to a dead MOBIUS soldier with the communicator containing the location of the remaining parts.
- Sniper Rifle Barrel: Found in a shed on the northwestern end of the residential area in the same chapter. It is guarded by a Lament and multiple Losts.
- Flamethrower Body: Retrieved from Liam O'Neal's dead body in Chapter 11. Unmissable.
- Flamethrower Tanks: Found on dead Harbingers in Chapters 13 and 14. Two are needed to repair the Flamethrower, and additional ones can be collected for 99 units of fuel each.
|Items||Cost (Bench)||Cost (Off-bench)|
|Weapons & Ammo|
|Sniper Rifle Cartridges||x8||x11|
|Assault Rifle Cartridges||x2||x3|
|Sniper Rifle||Sniper Rifle Body x1, Sniper Rifle Barrel x1||N/A (Must be crafted at Bench)|
|Flamethrower||Flamethrower Body x1, Flamethrower Tanks x2||N/A (Must be crafted at Bench)|
|Shock Bolt||x3, x1||x5, x1|
|Smoke Bolt||x2, x1||x3, x1|
|Explosive Bolt||x3, x1||x5, x1|
|Freeze Bolt||x3, x1||x5, x1|
|Health & Recovery|
Crafted something for the first time.
Crafted every type of item at least once.
|Making Things a Little Easier|
Used your first High-Grade Weapon Parts.
|Now You're Playing with Power|
Upgraded a weapon to Level 3.
|They Never Even Stood A Chance|
Completely upgraded all weapons.
|A Little Extra Kick to it|
Upgraded one of your Warden Crossbow bolts to max level.
- The Crafting mechanics in The Evil Within 2 seems to depict the act in a very streamlined and simplified manner, as Sebastian can cobble together useful resources despite only using the most basic components in their construction.
- The most egregious examples are the ammunition recipes, as they don't require scrap metal to forge new casings despite the Workbenches having the facilities to do so. In fact, scrap metal isn't utilised at all in ammo crafting, being relegated to generic weapon upgrade parts instead.
- Crafting Warden Bolts, possibly with the exception of Harpoon Bolts, also only requires the player to have the basic ingredients of the bolt tip, without actually needing to provide the components to craft the bolt bodies themselves.
|The Evil Within 2|
|Gameplay • Chapters • Characters & Creatures • Weapons & Equipment|
|Legend: Base Game, New Game+ unlock, Pre-order exclusive|